Documentation and instructions below.
Do you want to test Spam Master, get a free Trial License
Complete the registration and activate your account, free trial license will be emailed to your registration email.
Spam Master Plugin Menu
After Installing Spam Master, you can access the plugin on your WordPress left Menu.
We are going to take a quick look at all Spam Master Plugin menu pages. Keep in mind that the most important page with user configurable settings or options is the Spam Master Settings Page.
Spam Master Main Menu Page
This is the first plugin page and is designed to give you an overview over 3 aspects:
TechGasp awesome work. Remember to subscribe to the latest news on Facebook and Twitter. Like and Follow us, be up-to-date.
Quick Start, briefly explains all Spam Master plugin pages.
And, towards the end of the page you will find the Support area. In case of trouble, you can Export Support Data and attach the exported plugin_info.txt file into your support ticket.
The main plugin settings page where you check your Threat Alert Level, Protection Status, set your License Key and frontend Spam Message.
Threat Alert Level
Automatically displays your website spam & threat alert levels. It’s an easy and interactive way for you to know if your website is being targeted by spammers and the level of intensity or danger of this targeting. The update is done daily and automatically via RBL (real-time blacklist) servers sync. The alert levels range from 0 (low) to 3 (high) intensities. According to each level you may which to implement different strategies using the Protection Tools Page. Below is explained each Alert Level and it’s meaning:
In conjunction with the Alert Level, Spam Master advanced detection heuristic analytics will provide you with an approximated percentage of all activity in your website. The percentage can range from 0 to thousands according to the spam activity on your website. The lower the number, the better.
Automatically displays if everything is alright and active with your install. Connects directly to the below field License Status. With a valid trial or full license the protection status should be green and displaying Active Online. Below are a few examples of protection statuses and how to address them:
Malfunction_1 Active Online
Malfunction_2 Active Online
- 1. Make sure to Update Spam Master to the latest version in your plugins administrator page.
- 2. Make sure you don’t have any other spam, firewall, protection plugins active.
- 3. If you purchased a full license, make sure you replace your trial license with the purchased full license.
If issue persists, get in touch with TechGasp Support and refer Malfunction_2 so we can help you troubleshot the issue Support Ticket.
In worse unattended cases, Malfunctions_2 can escalate to Malfunctions_3 or Inactive states.
Warning will auto disappear once malfunction is fixed and Spam Master re-syncs with the RBL servers. Might take up to 24 hours.
Malfunction_3 Inactive Offline
- Single full license being used in more than 1 website.
- Server listed as a spam source
- Internal error.
- Intrusion detection.
Except for the first case where you can upgrade your license to 2 – 5 websites Upgrade License, Malfunctions_3 do not auto fix themselves . You should get in touch with TechGasp Support and refer Malfunction_3 so we can help you troubleshot the issue Support Ticket.
Expired Inactive Offline
- Is this a first time install? if so, you can get a free 7 days Trial to test Spam Master awesomeness click here. You may only have 1 trial license, if you already tested the trial license, you can get a 1 year Full license, it costs peanuts per year get full license.
- Do you have a Full License? if so, your license probably turned inactive because you haven’t updated, upgraded Spam Master “for a long time”. Licenses may turn inactive if your installed version is 15 or more versions older than the current version which equals to 5 or 6 months without updating, upgrading Spam Master. You can easily fix this by:
- 1. Update Spam Master to the latest version in your plugins administrator.
- 2. Go to Spam Master Settings page and under the license key press the ACTIVATE LICENSE button.
This is where you insert and activate your trial or full license. Paste your license inside “Insert Spam Master License:” field and press Save & Refresh. With a valid trial or full license you should see a green Valid License status.
Get a license:
The “get rbl protection license” button takes you to Spam Master info page where you can buy a full license for your wordpress website. If you have more than 1 website, 1 license per website or domain is required, using the same license for several websites might cause blockage from the rbl servers. Licenses cost peanuts per year. If you need one, get it here get rbl protection license.
you can start by testing this awesome plugin with a 7 day free trial license. Complete the registration, activate your account and the license will be emailed to you. Free Trial License.
If you bought a full license, it might take a few hours for it to be accepted and replicated on the RBL servers, so be patient.
Edit Registration Message
The registration Message will be displayed on your wordpress website frontend registration page each time Spam Master blocks a registration or comment. Keep it short, simple or even blank. Click Save & Refresh to apply the new Message.
Protection Tools Page
The Protection Tools Page allows you to enhance your WordPress security with optional tools. Firewall, re-CAPTCHA, Honeypot traps, Signatures, Contact Form 7, Woocommerce, etc. Let’s take a quick look at them:
Protection Tools Firewall
Protection Tools Integrations
If you are a plugin developer and want your plugin included in Spam Master API, get in touch with us via Support Ticket.
Re-Captcha adds a captcha code field to the Login Page, Registration page or to all Comments of your WordPress.
Activating re-captcha will automatically eliminate all “bots” or “robots” fake registrations. Make sure you have no other plugins installed that use captcha’s or re-captcha.
Spam Master uses the latest V2 re-Captcha from google and requires a free google api key that you can get in seconds. Get your free google re-captcha key.
Activate Re-Captcha Registration Page: Check to activate re-captcha verification in your wordpress registration page
Activate Re-Captcha Login Page: Check to activate re-captcha verification in your wordpress login page
Activate Re-Captcha in Comments Page: Check to activate re-captcha verification in your wordpress comments
Re-Captcha API Site Key: Insert your google re-captcha site key. Click above get free google re-captcha key
Re-Captcha API Secret Key: Insert your google re-captcha secret key. Click above get free google re-captcha key
Color Scheme: According to your theme scheme, select light or dark
Activate Re-Captcha Preview: Check to activate re-captcha preview under the checkbox
Activating Honeypot adds invisible traps for “bots” or “robots in WordPress or Buddypress registration page. “persons” or “humans” will not see these traps, more about honeypot
Activate Honeypot: Check to activate Honeypot traps in your wordpress or buddypress registration page
Honeypot Trap Speed: Checks and sets for how fast the “bots” are trying to submit the registration data. Default is between 3 and 10 seconds. Just insert the number, example 5
Contact Form 7
Contact Form 7 manages multiple contact forms, plus you can customize the form and the mail contents flexibly with simple markup.
Contact Form 7 Settings
Activate Contact Form 7: Activating Contact Form 7, Spam Master will pro-active scan the email forms before the email function is triggered keeping your email inbox safe from spam and other threats.
WooCommerce is an open source e-commerce platform for small to large-sized online merchants using WordPress.
Activate Woocommerce: Activating Woocommerce, Spam Master will pro-active scan registrations and block spam, exploits and credit card frauds. Download Here.
Protection Tools for Comments
WordPress Native Comment Options
These are native WordPress Comment options that seem to be overlook. It is highly recommended to have them active if your blog is under spam attack.
- Comment author must fill out name and email. Can not be turned off and is useful to create load / hassle to spamming bots / Humans. It also helps the Spam Master Learning function to detect and stop spam attempts.
- Users must be registered and logged in to comment. Optional, before commenting users should have registered and activated their account in your blog by passing the registration spam scan. Stops commenting floods or attacks from different Ip’s.
- Comment must be manually approved. Optional, new comments need to pass the spam check and afterwards need to be approved by a blog administrator before being approved and displayed.
- Comment author must have a previously approved comment. Optional, cuts down on the number of comments you have to approve. Once the comment passes the spam check and you approve one comment by that author, their future comments will be automatically approved. Heads-Up, approve comments from know safe sources.
- Remove Website Comment Field. Optional, attempts to remove from wordpress themes the spam tasty website field located in comments form.
Comment Character Options
These options immediately block comments with specific characters and encoding on them.
- Automatically Block Comments with Russain Characters
- Automatically Block Comments with Chinese Characters
- Automatically Block Comments with Asian Characters
- Automatically Block Comments with Arabic Characters
- Automatically Block Comments with Spam Characters
Protection Tools Clean-Up
Activate Comments Clean-Up
Optional setting. Activate Comments Clean-Up will automatically compare your spam buffer threat list with older comments that are Approved or Pending. If match exists, these comments are automatically moved from Approved or Pending to Trash.
Spam Buffer Whitelist and Spam Buffer Clean-up
Spam Buffer Whitelisting excludes spam checks in comments from safe emails or ip’s. It also removes these safe emails and ip’s from your Spam Buffer allowing these users to comment freely.
- Insert emails or ips from frequent commenter’s that are safe.
- Important, insert 1 per line and press Save Settings.
- You can check you wordpress native comments or Spam Master Comments page to get emails and ips.
- Whitelisting will also delete the email or ip from your spam buffer but not from online RBL Servers. Make sure you remove them.
Spam Buffer Clean-Up
In extreme cases the Clean Spam Buffer button allows you to clean your blog fast memory access of previously detected spam threats but it will not remove entries in online RBL Servers.
Emails & Reporting
Protection Tools Emails & Reporting
- Activate Alert Level 3 Warning Email. You should have this settings always on, it warns you if your website reached or is at a dangerous level. You can find more info about alert levels in Spam Master Settings page.
- Activate Daily Report Email. Used for normal alert levels and spam probability percentage. You can find more info about alert levels in Spam Master Settings page.
- Activate Weekly Report Email. This Weekly detailed email report packs a bunch of your website data to keep you informed.
- Help Us Improve Spam Master, by sending weekly statistical data, same as your weekly report.
Widgets & Shortcodes
Protection Tools Widgets & Shortcodes
You will find the activated Widgets in your wordpress widgets page or in the case of dashboard widgets in your website dashboard page. If you feel there’s a cool feature missing or a widget altogether, get in touch with us and we will be happy to add it.
- Heads Up Widget (Visible by Users & Admins). Warns all users that your website is protected against misfitting hence deterring them. It optionally displays SSL Encryption Seal that is useful for sales or commercial websites.
- Statistics Widget (Visible by Users & Admins).
- Firewall Status Widget (Visible by Users & Admins). Warns all users that your website is firewall protected against misfitting and optionally displays last 7 days firewall blocks.
- Dashboard Status Widget (Visible by Admins).
- Dashboard Statistics Widget (Visible by Admins).
- Firewall Status Widget (Visible by Users & Admins).
- Threat Protection Total Count. Called in Pages, posts or widgets via shortcode
Protection Tools Signatures
Statistics show 1% to 2% of human (real persons) are working spammers. 2% multiplied by millions of humans doing this is a lot. These options are important because these persons trying to spam will know their efforts are in vain, a waist of time.
The signatures are displayed in the login form, registration form, comments form and emails, i.e. registration email.
- Activate Registration Signature
- Activate Login Signature
- Activate Comments Signature
- Activate Email Signature
Protection Tools Spam Learning
The normal Status for Spam Learning is green Online.
Protection Tools RBL Servers
This page shows statistical information of successful firewall blocks.
Last 7 days graphical information of firewall blocks.
Detailed information list of last 7 days firewall blocks. The list contains a week of blocked data so that your database is “slim” and “trimmed” with fast website page load times.
You can also use Refresh List button to display fresh data and the Export List Button to download the list.
This page shows a statistical list of all your website successful spam registrations blocks and approved registrations
Last 7 days graphical information of registrations activity.
Registrations Blocked by Spam Master
This table displays all blocked registrations with date and registrations email… be amazed with all the spam being blocked.
The list contains a week of blocked data. Why only a week? simple… in a weeks time you will block thousands of spam attempts. We want to make sure that your database is “slim” and “trimmed” with fast website page load times.
You can also use Refresh List button to display fresh data and the Export List Button to download the list.
Registrations Approved by Spam Master
This table displays registrations considered safe by spam master and includes per user (registration date, user id, user name, user email, user status).
This page shows statistical information of your wordpress comments activity.
Last 7 days graphical information of comments activity.
Detailed information list of all of your wordpress comments.
Total Users displays your wordpress total registered users. Used for statistical purposes to keep a close eye on what’s going on.
Total Firewall Triggers & Registrations Blocked displays how many times Spam Master blocked spam registrations, comments and firewall. It does not count the comments marked as spam done by registered users.
Total Comments displays your wordpress total number or comments, whatever their status may be.
Total Comments Blocked displays successful spam master comment blocks. Most of the times akismet will clear spam comments from registered users and they get automatically displayed on your website frontend or they get cleared as safe but waiting approval by an administrator. Not to worry, Spam Master rechecks these comments and safely marks then as spam. Use wordpress native comments page to delete these successful spam comments blocks, this number will reflect those changes.
Total comments Approved displays your wordpress total number of approved comments.
Total Comments Pending displays your wordpress total number of pending comments.
Total Comments Trashed displays your wordpress total number of trashed comments.
Protected Against “number” of Threats.
Spam Learning should be green and Online. It means you are actively combating spam by relaying registration data to the RBL servers for analysis. Be proud to be an WordPress Anti-Spam enforcer!
Firewall should be green and Online.
Primary RBL Server Cluster displays the status of the scan servers. The Status will only turn green with an active Full Protection license key. If you selected Free Protection you will not be able to connected to them.
Secondary RBL Server Cluster. Same as Primary Cluster.
How to Install, Update Spam Master
Use WordPress install and update features located on your wordpress plugin administrator page.
Activate the plugin per wordpress sub-site basis and do not Network Activate the plugin.
Insert Licenses per sub-site basis. The main or base blog site needs the plugin active and with an Active Valid license inserted.